Channel 4 has pulled all episodes of Married at First Sight UK (MAFS) after two women claimed they were raped by their on-screen husbands during filming.
A third woman claimed she had an abortion following anon-consensual sex actby her partner on the reality television show.
The three former contestants said they were not adequately protected by the show, in which single people agree to marry strangers after meeting for the first time at their mock weddings.
Channel 4bosses continued to broadcast the episodes despite being aware of some of the allegations, and all episodes featuring the women had previously been available on its streaming service, according to aBBC Panoramainvestigation.
The channel confirmed on Monday that it had removed all previous seasons of the show from its streaming platforms following “very serious allegations of wrongdoing” made against a small number of past contributors.
Priya Dogra, the broadcaster’s chief executive, said she had commissioned an external review of contributor welfare on MAFS last month, which had yet to report back.
The allegations are made in the documentary The Dark Side of Married at First Sight, which was due to air on Monday night on BBC One.
The Department for Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS) warned that there must be “consequences for criminality or wrongdoing”.
A spokesman told the BBC: “All allegations must be referred to the appropriate authorities and investigated with the full co-operation of those involved, with action taken to ensure that the highest standards are upheld and there are consequences for criminality or wrongdoing.”
MAFS originated in Denmark in 2013 and reached the UK in 2015. Ten series have aired so far, with more than 35 versions of the show worldwide.
‘You can’t say no, you’re my wife’
One anonymous participant referred to as Lizzie, which is not her real name, said she started sleeping with her on-screen husband during the “honeymoon” phase of the show, but the sex soon turned violent.
She alleged he had bruised her during sex, threatened to get someone to throw acid at her, and raped her.
“We were in our apartment, on the sofa, and he tried to have sex with me. And I kept saying no, that I didn’t want to do it,” she claimed.
“But he kept saying, ‘you can’t say no, you’re my wife’, and he just did it anyway.”
Lawyers for Lizzie’s on-screen husband told the BBC he denied rape, being violent towards her or making violent threats to her, and that all sexual contact was entirely consensual.
Lizzie now wants to pursue a legal claim against CPL Productions, an independent company that makes the UK version of the show.
Charlotte Proudman, Lizzie’s barrister, said the show demonstrated “a lack of curiosity, a lack of the ability to ask important questions and the failure to implement basic safeguarding measures”.
Lawyers for CPL told the BBC its welfare system was “gold standard” and industry-leading, and that it had acted immediately once Lizzie said she felt unsafe.
Advertisement
Show’s psychiatrist informed
Another anonymous participant, referred to as Chloe - not her real name - claimed her partner had had sex with her after she had said “no”.
“He smirked and climbed on top of me, moved my leg… By that time, I’d really given up and I just didn’t want him to be angry at me when the cameras came,” she alleged. “I just lay there, and I stared out the window.”
She allegedly told the show’s psychiatrist afterwards and CPL informed Channel 4 about the allegation.
Chloe also complained directly to Channel 4 about the alleged incident and how it had been handled by CPL.
Channel 4 later told her it had found CPL had followed welfare procedures. By the time she received this response, the series was already on air.
Lawyers for Chloe’s on-screen husband said that he challenged details of her account.
A third contestant Shona Manderson, who has waived her anonymity, alleged that Bradley Skelly, her on-screen husband, engaged in a non-consensual sex act by ejaculating inside her without permission.
She later found out she was pregnant and had an abortion. She said she does not know if the pregnancy resulted from the alleged incident.
A few days after the alleged incident, she reportedly informed CPL about it. CPL and Channel 4 decided to remove the couple from the show shortly after.
Mr Skelly said he understood Ms Manderson had consented to him ejaculating inside her that night, according to the BBC. He said in a statement he categorically denied “any allegations of sexual misconduct” or that he was “controlling”.
In a statement on Monday, Channel 4 said it had been presented in April “with serious allegations of wrongdoing against a small number of past contributors, allegations that we understand those contributors have denied”.
“The channel is mindful of the privacy and continuing duty of care towards all contributors, and cannot comment on or disclose details of those allegations.
“Related to those allegations, Channel 4 was asked to respond to claims of failures in welfare protocols. Channel 4 believes that when concerns related to contributor welfare were raised through existing welfare and production protocols, prompt and appropriate action was taken, based on the information available at the time.
“Channel 4 strongly refutes any claim to the contrary.”
‘Very serious allegations’
Ms Dogra said: “I want to express my sympathy to contributors who have clearly been distressed after taking part in Married At First Sight UK. The wellbeing of our contributors is always of paramount importance.
“It would be wholly inappropriate for me to comment on what are very serious allegations made against some MAFS UK contributors.
“Those allegations – which I understand are disputed by the contributors accused – are not something that Channel 4 is in a position to adjudicate on.
“We are also mindful of our ongoing duty of care to all contributors, and the need to preserve the anonymity and privacy of all involved.
“On the claims that Channel 4 may have failed in its duty of care, I believe that when concerns about contributor welfare were raised, and based on the information available at the time, Channel 4 acted quickly, appropriately, sensitively and with wellbeing front and centre.”