Category 1

9-story building under construction in the Philippines collapses, leaving 21 people missing

ANGELES, Philippines (AP) — A nine-story building under construction in a city north of the Philippine capital of Manila collapsed before dawn and at least 21 people were missing Sunday morning, authorities said.

Associated Press

Rescuers were “hearing voices” in the rubble, while 24 workers managed to dash to safety or were rescued, police and other officials said.

The building collapsed after a fierce thunderstorm in Angeles City in Pampanga province. More than 100 police and other government personnel were scrambling to rescue those believed to be trapped in the rubble, police Brig. Gen. Jess Mendez said.

Mendez and other officials at the scene said there were no immediate reports of deaths but some of those who got out safely sustained injuries.

Among the 21 people who remained unaccounted for, most were believed to be workers at the building, according to Francis Pangilinan, who heads Angeles City’s disaster mitigation office and was at the scene.

Advertisement

Two other people, including a Malaysian tourist, were injured when their lodgings were hit by debris from the collapsed building, officials said.

Rescuers including firefighters, police and disaster-response teams used their hands and sniffer dogs in a dangerous scramble to search for the trapped survivors, Public Works Secretary Vinzon Dizon told reporters near the rubble of concrete slabs, twisted iron bars and other debris.

“There are some signs of life ... There are voices that are being heard,” Dizon said, adding that rescuers were moving with extreme caution. “It’s a very very unstable site and the priority is to get the people out.”

Angeles City hosted one of the largest U.S. Air Force bases outside of the American mainland until it closed in the early 1990s, helping develop Angeles and outlying cities and towns into entertainment and commercial hubs in the main northern Philippine region of Luzon.

The former air base, now called the Clark Freeport Zone, is about 80 kilometers (50 miles) north of Metro Manila.

9-story building under construction in the Philippines collapses, leaving 21 people missing

ANGELES, Philippines (AP) — A nine-story building under construction in a city north of the Philippine capital of Manila collapsed befo...
India, US discuss Middle East, trade as US cites progress on Iran conflict

NEW DELHI, May 24 (Reuters) - U.S. ‌Secretary of ‌State Marco Rubio ​held talks with Indian Foreign Minister Subrahmanyam Jaishankar ‌on ⁠Sunday, as the two ⁠sides discussed the Middle ​East, trade, ​visas, ​maritime security ‌and energy supplies.

Reuters

Advertisement

Rubio said progress had been made in the ‌past 48 ​hours ​on ​efforts towards ‌resolving the Iran ​conflict.

(Reporting ​by Michael Martina Saurabh ​Sharma; ‌writing by Mayank ​Bhardwaj;Editing by ​Bernadette Baum)

India, US discuss Middle East, trade as US cites progress on Iran conflict

NEW DELHI, May 24 (Reuters) - U.S. ‌Secretary of ‌State Marco Rubio ​held talks with Indian Foreign Minister Subrahmanyam Jaishankar ‌o...
Princess Diana hated London, honeymoon letter reveals

Diana, Princess of Wales, hated London, a previously unpublished letter to a schoolfriend reveals.

The Telegraph The Prince and Princess of Wales leave Gibraltar on the Royal Yacht Britannia for their honeymoon cruise, 31st July 1981

Writing fromBalmoral Castleshortly after the 1981 royal wedding, the Princess said she was enjoying “endless sun” and “calm seas” during a cruise on theRoyal Yacht Britannia.

The Princessmarried the then Prince Charles when she was 20, having left school at 16 and dropped out of a finishing school in Switzerland before starting work in a nursery.

In her note, written on royal-crested paper and sent to Katherine Hanbury, a former classmate at West Heath Girls’ School in Kent, she wrote: “We had a blissful honeymoon with endless sun and luckily calm seas… we are now up in Scotland until the end of October, which is a big treat for us – I adore being outside all day & hate London!”

She also added: “Its [sic] wonderful being married – I think its [sic] safe to say that after two months…!”

Princess Diana letter to school friend Katherine Hanbury

The letter suggests she was adapting to her new life and role within the Royal family. She wrote: “Its [sic] a case of playing with grown ups!”

The couple had boarded the Royal Yacht Britannia after their wedding on July 29, 1981, for a 12-day cruise of the Mediterranean before heading to Balmoral for several months.

The letter, dated Sept 27, is among a collection of items to be auctioned by the Princess’s school friend Katherine. The consignment includes photos of the future princess at school. One shows her sitting with a number of friends, including the actress Tilda Swinton and film director Joanna Hogg.

Advertisement

The collection will go under the hammer at Gorringe’s Fine Art & Interiors sale in Lewes, East Sussex, in July. It has an estimate of £4,000-£6,000.

The collection of items that Katherine Hanbury is auctioning in July, including photographs of the late princess at school

The timing of this sale coincides with what would have been the 45th anniversary of the then Prince and Diana’s wedding.

Albert Radford, books and manuscripts specialist at Gorringe’s, said: “This intimate archive offers a rare glimpse of Diana, Princess of Wales, before duty and fame had the final say.

“Through our client’s recollections from West Heath Girls’ School, Diana comes across as deeply unassuming and domestically minded; someone whose real ambition was simply to have a family and take pride in ordinary things.

“She remembers Diana volunteering to clean the house of the headmistress, and it is memories like this and the collection that has come to light, that present the real young Diana in a way that is completely at odds with the public persona that was created by others.

“She appears here as a young woman suspended between love and history – hopeful, unguarded, and not yet entirely claimed by the institution that would come to define her. In these small, fragile traces, innocence lingers – along with a quiet stubborn belief in something as simple and elusive as love.”

Prince Charles and Diana, Princess of Wales (1961 - 1997) pose together during their honeymoon in Balmoral, Scotland, 19th August 1981

The photographs include one of the Princess outside the art room, one of her in a block known as the “cowsheds”, and a third shows her standing outside, close to the playing fields.

The Princess married Prince Charles at St Paul’s Cathedral with an estimated 750 million people watching across the world. The couple produced William and Harry, but the marriage fell apart in 1992 and theydivorced in 1996.

She was killed in a car crash in Paris on Aug 31, 1997, aged 36.

Princess Diana hated London, honeymoon letter reveals

Diana, Princess of Wales, hated London, a previously unpublished letter to a schoolfriend reveals. Writing fromBalmoral Castlesho...
How Brendan Wayne channeled his grandfather, John Wayne, in his “Mandalorian” performance

The Mandalorian and Grogu actor Brendan Wayne is sharing how he brought a bit of his grandfather, John Wayne, to his portrayal of the bounty hunter.

Entertainment Weekly Brendan Wayne; John WayneCredit: Lucasfilm; Getty

Key Points

  • The actor, who shares the role with Pedro Pascal and Lateef Crowder, tells Entertainment Weekly that he wanted to make sure every one of Mando's movements counted.

  • "The more I became like my grandfather, the more I became like the samurai that he studied," he said.

The Mandalorian and Grogustar Brendan Wayne is sharing how his grandfather,John Wayne,influenced his performance as the titular stoic bounty hunter.

The actor, who physically embodies Mando alongsidePedro Pascal(who voices the character and plays him without the helmet) and Lateef Crowder (who handles the stuntwork), tellsEntertainment Weeklythat he had to learn to be present in a scene to play the heavily armored character on the Emmy-winningStar Warsseries.

"I had to really learn stillness, and it's really been one of the greatest things I've learned as an actor," Wane says. "For me, that journey, I always fought that because my grandfather was exceptional at being present and radiating whatever [was happening around him].John Fordloved to say to him, 'The less I give you, Duke, the better the movie is going to be.' It sounds like a slight, but it was more about if you just be there, it's as powerful as anything."

The Mandalorian and Grogu in 'The Mandalorian'Credit: Lucasfilm

He found himself bringing a bit of his grandfather's serenity to the character when working with directors Jon Favreau, Dave Filoni, Deborah Chow, and Rick Famuyiwa on the first three seasons ofThe Mandalorian.

"When they were directing me, the more still I became, the more I became like my grandfather, the more I became like the samurai that he studied," Wayne says. "Every movement had a meaning; you don't waste them. And with samurai, every movement is a kill movement."

Which is exactly how Mando operates, too. "That's Mando. Those are the precepts that he works upon," he notes, "and so to have that trust in yourself that whatever you're living in that moment — if I'm working with Katee [Sackhoff] as Bo-Katan or Emily Swallow — as long as you're present, that's 90 percent of the work."

Advertisement

It was also important to Wayne that Mando always appear calm and collected — even when the cameras weren't rolling.

"I would get to set two and a half, three hours early, I'd do my workout, and then I'd go spend an hour at least walking the set, because I never wanted Mando to fall down in front of the crew," he says. "I wanted him to be as smooth as my grandfather, Clint Eastwood, or Yul Brynner inWestworld. I wanted him as smooth as could be so that every movement did matter."

As fate would have it, he's not the only member of the Wayne family who's part of theStar Warsuniverse. He toldPEOPLEthat he was completely unaware, when singing on to play Mando, that his grandfather's voice had been used for the Galactic Empire spy Garindan ezz Zavor inA New Hope.

"Back in the day, when we used film, they found the soundtrack on the ground in the editing room," he said. "And they knew it was fromTrue Grit. They took his voice [from stock audio], and they did whatever they do, their magic."

Brendan Wayne on 'The Mandalorian' setCredit: Lucasfilm

But don't worry, Wayne is completely fine with "riding the coattails of my grandfather" when it comes to playing a role in a galaxy far, far away. "I had hoped I might have been able to be the first in this," he teased, "but no, sadly, I was still second.'"

The Mandalorian and Groguis in theaters now.

Read the original article onEntertainment Weekly

How Brendan Wayne channeled his grandfather, John Wayne, in his “Mandalorian” performance

The Mandalorian and Grogu  actor Brendan Wayne is sharing how he brought a bit of his grandfather, John Wayne, to his portrayal of the ...
Death toll in student dorm strike rises to 10, Russian-installed official says

May 23 (Reuters) - The death toll from a drone strike ‌on a student dorm ‌in the Russian-controlled Luhansk region of eastern ​Ukraine has risen to 10 from six, a Russian-installed official said on Saturday.

Reuters

Russia on Friday ‌accused Ukraine of ⁠what it described as a deliberate drone strike ⁠in the town of Starobilsk with Russian President Vladimir Putin ​on Friday ​ordering his ​military to prepare ‌options for retaliation.

Advertisement

Leonid Pasechnik, head of the Russian-installed administration in the region, said that 10 people had been killed, 48 ‌were injured and 11 ​were still unaccounted ​for.

Ukraine's ​military denied the Russian ‌accusations and said it ​had struck ​an elite drone command unit in the area. It ​said that ‌Kyiv complied with international humanitarian ​law.

(Reporting by Maxim RodionovEditing ​by Tomasz Janowski)

Death toll in student dorm strike rises to 10, Russian-installed official says

May 23 (Reuters) - The death toll from a drone strike ‌on a student dorm ‌in the Russian-controlled Luhansk region of eastern ​Ukraine ...
At least 90 dead in China's worst coal mine disaster in over 16 years

SHANGHAI, May 23 (Reuters) - At least 90 people were killed in a gas explosion at a coal mine in ‌China's northern province of Shanxi, the country's deadliest mining ‌accident since at least 2009.

Reuters Rescuers work at the site following a gas explosion at Liushenyu coal mine in Qinyuan county, Shanxi province, China May 23, 2026. cnsphoto via REUTERS Rescuers work at the site following a gas explosion at Liushenyu coal mine in Qinyuan county, Shanxi province, China May 23, 2026. China Daily via REUTERS

Rescuers work at the site following a gas explosion at Liushenyu coal mine

The gas explosion occurred late on Friday at the Liushenyu ​coal mine in Qinyuan county, with 247 workers on duty underground, state media Xinhua reported.

The mine is operated by Shanxi Tongzhou Group Liushenyu Coal Industry, which was established in 2010 and is controlled ‌by Shanxi Tongzhou Coal ⁠Coking Group, according to corporate database Qichacha.

Rescue operations were ongoing and the cause of the accident was ⁠under investigation, according to the local emergency management authority in Qinyuan. Shanxi is China's coal-mining heartland.

President Xi Jinping called for authorities to "spare no ​effort" in ​treating the injured and conducting ​search and rescue operations, while ‌ordering a thorough investigation into the cause of the accident and strict accountability in accordance with the law, according to Xinhua.

Advertisement

Premier Li Qiang called for timely and accurate release of information and rigorous accountability.

China has significantly reduced coal mine fatalities - often caused by ‌gas explosions or flooding - since the early ​2000s through more stringent regulations and ​safer practices.

In 2009, a ​coal and gas outburst in Heilongjiang Province killed 108 ‌people and injured 133.

Executives of ​the company responsible ​for the mine have been detained, Xinhua reported.

Shanxi provincial authorities have dispatched seven rescue and medical teams totalling 755 personnel ​to the site, the ‌emergency management bureau at Qinyuan said.

(Reporting by Shanghai Newsroom ​and Fabiola Arámburo in Mexico City; Editing by Tom ​Hogue, Kim Coghill and William Mallard)

At least 90 dead in China's worst coal mine disaster in over 16 years

SHANGHAI, May 23 (Reuters) - At least 90 people were killed in a gas explosion at a coal mine in ‌China's northern province of Shan...
Livvy Dunne Sizzles in Fiery Red Plunging Swimsuit for ‘Baywatch’

Livvy Dunneis ready to trade her gymnastics leotard for the most famous beach uniform in television history:the plunging swimsuit fromBaywatch. The former LSU athlete-turned-social media sensation completely melted the internet with a striking new behind-the-scenes selfie from the upcoming reboot.

The Fashion Spot Livvy Dunne Sizzles in Fiery Red Plunging Swimsuit for 'Baywatch'

Livvy Dunne turns up the temperature in red-hot plunging swimsuit for ‘Baywatch’

Check out Livvy Dunne’s latest Instagram photo featuring the iconic Baywatch costume below:

Dunne recently gave fans an exclusive sneak peek from her Baywatch dressing room at Fox Studios. In the mirror selfie shared via Instagram Stories, she is seen wearing the iconic bright red one-piece swimsuit made famous by the original lifeguards of the ’90s. The athletic swimwear features a flattering plunging neckline and thick straps. It also has a nostalgic yellow circular patch on the hip that reads “Baywatch Lifeguard.”

Advertisement

The photo shows the 23-year-old looking off to the side with a playful pout. Dunne’s blonde hair is swept back carelessly and secured with green salon clips on each side of her head. She also opted for minimal, clean makeup, showing off a light dusting of freckles across her nose and flushed pink cheeks.

At the top of her photo, Livvy Dunne added a text overlay that read, “since when is Baywatch emotional,” hinting at the dramatic filming schedule. She completed the mirror shot while wearing comfortable white sweatpants pulled low over the swimsuit.

By rocking this timeless piece, Dunne pays direct homage to the television legends before her. The combination of the classic red color and the modern athletic cut perfectly highlights her background as a champion gymnast.

The postLivvy Dunne Sizzles in Fiery Red Plunging Swimsuit for ‘Baywatch’appeared first ontheFashionSpot.

Livvy Dunne Sizzles in Fiery Red Plunging Swimsuit for ‘Baywatch’

Livvy Dunneis ready to trade her gymnastics leotard for the most famous beach uniform in television history:the plunging swimsuit fromB...

 

GEAR JRNL © 2015 | Distributed By My Blogger Themes | Designed By Templateism.com